SELF-PERCEPTION AND EXAMINATION
MY INTERACTION WITH OTHERS
With those at home and also those who are related to me but who do not live under the same roof:
My relationship with my parents Grandparents
My relationship with my siblings
My relationship with my children
My relationship with my husband/wife
• Have I treated them with the dignity and respect they deserve as well loved children of God?
• Have I consistently tried to love them as Christ loves them, even at a cost to my convenience? Or have I been selfish at home, moody, inconsiderate of others’ feelings, neither sharing things with them, nor working with them for the good of all?
With those at work:
• Have I cooperated with them for the good of all?
• Have I been honest with my employer/employees/teachers – in the
matter of time-keeping, work materials, and quality of work?
• Do I try to show Charity (Christian Love) to my co-workers, employees, boss etc. seeing them as people created in God’s image?
With those I meet:
• Have I been considerate towards other road-users?
• Have I used my gifts to the best of my ability and in the service of my community?
• Have I used them to make this world of his a better place?
• Do I try to love my enemies and pray for my persecutors?
• Am I a peace-maker?
The Gifts of Health and Strength:
• Have I forgotten that my body is a not my own but God’s work?
• Have I damaged it by over-eating, abusing stimulants of any kind, over-smoking or lack of sleep?
• Am I vain in appearance?
• Do I view my body as the source of my confidence?
• Am I involved in addictive behavior?
MY USE OF MY GIFTS
THE GIFT OF SIGHT
• Have I used my eyes as God my Father would have wanted, to notice the needs of others, to enjoy and be amazed at all the good things around me? Or have I used my sight in ways that will be used as sinfully?
• Has my sight led me to look critically at others, searching for the speck that is there while I ignore the planks of wood lodged in my own eyes?
THE GIFT OF HEARING
• Have I used my ability to hear as God my Father would have wished to listen to other people, to listen to the suggestions my colleagues make, to listen to the request my own family make of me?
• Am I a listening person, using this gift for sympathy or empathy or am I still immature and show it by boring other people with stories about myself only?
THE GIFT OF SPEECH
• Have I used it as God my Father would have wished relate only the good I hear about people, and not the bad?
• To bring about harmony and unity between peoples, races, and creeds. Or, have I been harsh and critical in my speech, condemning others, relating gossip, blackening people’s characters, unkind to people and unkind about people?
• Have I spoken the truth?
THE GIFT OF SEX
• Have I used (or not used) this gift as God my Father would have wished in accordance to His Word?
• Have I betrayed his trust in me by misusing this precious gift, using it before he sanctions its use through the Sacrament of Marriage, or using it selfishly simply for my own pleasure and not as an expression of love towards my spouse?
• Have I allowed my passions to rule me beyond my responsibilities and other forms of intimacy?
• If I am married, have I been faithful physically, emotionally, spiritually?
The Gift of Intelligence:
• Have I hampered its use through spending too much time watching or reading things that are harmful, or in day-dreaming, or in futile conversation?
• Do I recognize my mind for the tremendous gift that it is?
POTENTIAL AND WORK
The Gift of Work:
• Have I tried to work honestly and well?
• Have I used at least part of my money and effort for the relief of suffering in those less fortunate than myself?
RELAXATION AND LEISURE
The Gift of Leisure:
• Have I used my leisure time constructively?
• Do I make adequate time for leisure and the Sabbath?
• Have I allowed my use of leisure to encroach on my family duties?
• Have I spent more on my leisure and comforts than I have offered in care for others and for the support of my Parish?
MY RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD
Lastly, think about your relationship with God your Father, Jesus your Brother, and the Holy Spirit your protector:
• Have I spoken with God as a real father, or have I ignored him, or just gabbed a few prayers from time to time?
• Have I been concerned for God’s honor, wanting his name known and loved by all?
• Have I had faith in the realness of Jesus, close to me now?
• Have I trusted him and realized that if I am not in him I am worth nothing?
• Have I loved him and shown my love by ‘keeping his commandments’ and showing the same love to others as he showed to me?
• Have I listened to the Holy Spirit?
• Have I tried to do as he told me?
• Have I believed that I can do no good of myself but only in the power the Holy Spirit gives me.